Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Charade

Share --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can art express the inexpressible?   Is the language of art able to overcome deficits in our vocabulary?  

Schadenfreude is a German word to express the emotion of feeling joy for another's  misfortune.  There isn't an English word to express this emotion. 

Do you think artists experience an impotence in emotional descriptors  in language that their visual communication attempts to fill?   Do you think a poet's focus is to  overcome this same deficit?  And if that is true - are literary artists and visual artists approaching the same goal, or are they  at opposite ends?  

What do you think?


The Charade - digital illustration
Copyright 2012 TwoDressesStudio
All Rights Reserved
Image Credits - public domain art, raven and fire - Holliewood Studios



5 comments:

Netty said...

Am not sure whether I have an opinion or not.............but I adore your fabulous collage. x

bohemiannie! art said...

Well...without some thought, I can't really answer your questions but I'm glad there isn't an English word for Schadenfreude!

bockel24 said...

What an interesting question, Trudi! I love poetry as well as visual art, and I´ve tried my hands and head on both, and I think there are some similarities - especially as a visual artist makes such thought-provoking art as you do.
I didn´t know you haven´t a word for "Schadenfreude" - my online dictionary suggests gloating, mischievousness or spitefulness, but as I don´t know how native speakers use those words, I can´t tell if it´s the same meaning.

Unknown said...

What a marvelous inventive image you've made!

Linda Kunsman said...

well Trudi that sure is something to think about and explore. My immediate thought tho, as a sometimes writer and sometimes artist is thatthe goal IS similar. Great collage!