Tuesday, August 04, 2009

DisCO Book Cover - "Dis-Co-Ver"

Share --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm glad I have the ability to laugh at myself. Truth is, I laugh a lot. Also true, it's usually at my own expense. As soon as I felt the pressure of the DisCo deadline approaching, my Muse ran the other way. I was brain dead as far as my 'right brain' was concerned. And yet, my 'guilt' about not completing a project on the date due got the better of me and I felt compelled to at least complete a digital rendition of my 'bundle.' (see previous post) This morning I woke up and, now with the guilt out of the way along with the pressure of a deadline vaporized, my Muse returned and I started on the cover of my "DisCo Book".
I want to keep the design and contents of the book as natural as possible in keeping with the 'natural conditions' which were the creative force behind Seth's project.
So, here is the first part of the books' construction -

And below is a photograph of the front cover along with the beginning of a piano hinge spine. I used branches for the spine but covered one with the paper from the original project and one with some natural fibre oriental character paper. I've also added the beginning of a clasp with some twine on the right edge. The black material is book fabric and I've glued it onto the reverse side of the cover with PVA acid-free glue. Next in line is creating the signatures and utilizing the remaining paper for the back cover of the book. It measures 6x6 square inches and isn't nearly as shiny as the photo is reflecting.

DisCoVER

*August 6: It's Finished! UPDATE TO FINAL BOOK

12 comments:

nancy neva gagliano said...

aw, the "alter-muse" GUILT:..so happy you got that out of the way and moved along with your beautiful cover idea....sweet colors and textures, pulled together with the branches!! thanks! "deadlines" work like that for me too..so do classes. childhood patterns???

Anonymous said...

Wow Trudi, this is perfectly lovely! How are you going to attach your signatures if you have your spine made already?

Linda T.

Kim Palmer said...

This is fabulous. Love the construction and can't wait to see more of it please! I have that problem with deadlines a bit too! Sometimes it just kills the creativity!

Zoe, ontheroad said...

Looking good. And very muse-ful.

Bea said...

I love the weaving on the cover. Beautiful soft colors. :)Bea

Caterina Giglio said...

ah the old deadline terror! I know it well! this book is just wonderful and you did a great job keeping the integrity of the original color! love your work!

theresa martin said...

looks just beautiful!

Jill Zaheer said...

Just love the weave of the materials that you've used for the cover -and the binding looks spectacular! The twine closure and coin look great! Thanks for sharing this treasured book.

Dawn Wilson said...

GORGEOUS! Love the way you used the materials. I also love the use of the word DisCover! brilliant

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

My muse was also toying with me on this deadline.....finally letting go!

Love what you've created, you must be very pleased as well!!!

~*~ Patty

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fantastic, love it Trudi.

Julie Prichard said...

This is really cool!