Friday, June 19, 2009

Touch Life

Share --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What's behind this digital collage:
Four years ago my partner and I attended a week long meditation course in California lead by Deepak Chopra. It was then I was introduced to Rabindranath Tagore, a philospher I had previously never heard of. Occasionally I read some of his thoughts and this morning I stumbled upon this:
Rabindranath Tagore - The same stream of life that runs through my veins night and day runs through the world and dances in rhythmic measures. It is the same life that shoots in joy through the dust of the earth in numberless blades of grass and breaks into tumultuous waves of leaves and flowers. It is the same life that is rocked in the ocean-cradle of birth and of death, in ebb and in flow. I feel my limbs are made glorious by the touch of this world of life. And my pride is from the life-throb of ages dancing in my blood this moment. from Gitanjali
This lead to me exploring an 'exercise' in words I was taught by Nick Bantock at one of his workshops I attended in 2007. Simply explained, the students pulled two unrelated paragraphs and joined them together, superimposing the nouns from one into the other. Once completed then using the modified paragraph becomes the impetus for created a visual rendition of the words.
Instead of this, I decided to find a poem within the above quote Here it is:
My mind's eye
measures life into earth
Blades break into waves of flowers
Life that is ocean of flow
Made glorious
Touch life.
The collage then followed....
It's a fun exercise and a good 'starter' if you are ever stuck with a blank page in your journal or canvas on your easel.

2 comments:

Bea said...

Just beautiful, as always. :)Bea

Marilyn said...

What a special creation!!